12 side dish servings
1 hr 15 min
- 3 pound(s) green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 large shallots
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s) coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon(s) fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cup(s) lowfat 1% milk
- 3 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup(s) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat covered 8-quart saucepot of salted water to boiling on high. Add beans and cook, uncovered, 6 minutes or until bright green and just tender. Drain well and transfer to shallow 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Meanwhile, finely chop 2 shallots. Thinly slice remaining shallots; set aside. In 12-in. skillet, heat oil on medium until hot. Add chopped shallots and cook 4 to 7 minutes or until browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Add bread crumbs and cook 2 minutes or until dry and golden, stirring. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Stir in thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- In microwave-safe measuring cup, microwave milk on High 4 minutes or until milk is warm.
- Meanwhile, in same 12-in. skillet, melt margarine on medium. Add sliced shallots and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown and tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring. Gradually pour milk into flour mixture in slow, steady stream, stirring constantly; heat to boiling, stirring. Stir 2 minutes longer or until thickened (mixture should have the consistency of heavy cream). Stir in nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour sauce over green beans; gently stir until green beans are evenly coated. Stir Parmesan cheese into bread crumb mixture; spread evenly over green bean mixture in casserole.
- Bake casserole 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown and sauce is bubbling.